Friday, August 31, 2012

The First Day of School and Other Missed Milestones

Until my reunion, I checked facebook weekly at most.  It just feels overwhelming.  I am not entirely sure why, but I usually blame it on my fibro since my mother also finds it overwhelming.  However, since I have been spending more time on it, I can't help but notice all the "First Day of School" pictures that people put up.  Should I put up a picture of my kids with a caption "First Day of Not Going to School" or some other like post?  It is very tempting, I can tell you.

Of course what kind of picture would capture the homeschooling spirit the most?  A picture of C sleeping in with Dad after he did a late shift?  The kids playing a board game with Dad in the middle of the day before he heads off to work?  A picture from a day trip (more like half a day, I didn't feel up to a whole day) we took to nature trails earlier in the week?  T reading?  The kids working on their lessons on the computer?  A picture from our play date yesterday?  A picture of us getting on the NFTA bus?  A picture of them with one of their dolls with a homemade paper dress?  What about weighing bulk items to buy at the Lexington Co-op?  Cooking?  Caring for the worm farm?  I suppose I will need to analyze this carefully since there are so many choices.  How about this one - sending Dad off to work while we head out to the playground?



Am I a bad person to say that I find the whole "first day of school" and "back to school" somewhat cheesy, for lack of a better way to put it?  It seems like such a manufactured milestone.  Ending a school year presumably means accomplishing something, but at the beginning of the school year kids haven't done anything yet.  If parents were really interested in learning wouldn't they be more excited about their kid learning to read (or swim or paint or sing) than turning a certain age by a certain deadline to be included in a school class?  Is some of the frenzy that everyone does it and that you have to shop for it?  After all, Americans love comparing themselves to other people and shopping is part of it.  I guess this is it, I am just disturbed by the materialism and pressure to be like everyone else, rather than the pride of other parents.

Am I depriving my kids of the attention that comes with these sorts of milestones?  T didn't have a kindergarten graduation, just a trip out for dessert just the four of us (it was last December, not even when graduations normally are).  Certainly, the grandparents would have gotten excited about a graduation.  I suppose that I could have bragged about it online or at the playground or at church.  How would it have been received if I showed up at church in December and told my friends that T finished kindergarten?  I am not sure it would have been the same.  Regardless, I see it more as he completed the skills that are considered kindergarten in conventional school since my research has yielded the fact that the sequence is somewhat arbitrary.  Also, the completion was just the core curriculum we use, but not the things that the kids come up with that are of interest.  Can I really put a grade level on those things?  The paper Barbie dress, the handmade paper skirt?  The perfect freehand drawing of a princess?  Baking?  Making patterns with coins?  Totaling up scores for board games using different methods?  Learning to ride the NFTA bus?  I think you get the point.

Am I doing my kids a favor by focusing more on the learning than the milestones?  It feels like I am.  Since I was so compliant about school and the whole work-hard-and-get-ahead, I always felt like I was living for the next school break, year completion, or graduation.  There was too much pressure to savor the learning.  I don't recall nurturing my outside interests all that well either.  Research supports that focusing on the learning is better.  If you read anything by Alfie Kohn, you will find this out too.  Focusing on reward or punishment always takes away from the intrinsic value of the learning.

This homeschool year (if you want to call it that, since we don't take summers off) I want to do more unschooling.  I am afraid to give up a structured curriculum completely, but we are going to do less of it.  Time4Learning is already pretty efficient, but we are going to, where appropriate, test first and only do the areas that we don't know to free up time for whatever the kids want to do or read.  We are going to read as many of the classic books as we can without overwhelming the kids.  My health permitting, we are going to do more outings and field trips and play dates.

What about you?  What are you going to do this "homeschool year"?  What do you think about "back to school"?  Am I the only one?

9 comments:

  1. I tend to take pictures of my kids every autumn, just to sort of mark their growth. I forget how tiny they were last year, until I look at pictures. I wonder if I choose to do it in autumn because it reminds me of back-to-school pictures?

    But yes - I totally agree that we've manufactured so many milestones that they don't seem to mean anything anymore. I remember when my sister "graduated" from nursery school & they did a little ceremony with little caps made out of cardboard; these days I have seen pictures of children wearing actual caps & gowns like we wore for high school to graduate from nursery school. When you make everything "special," nothing is.

    Also, I have to request a couple more Alfie Kohn books from the library. Thank you for the reminder. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I called my son's eighth grade graduation from public school his "eighth grade wedding." With all the hooplah involved, one would think they were ALL getting married! I thought it was ridiculous. I told him I will have a grande party when he graduates from HIGH SCHOOL because that is the minimum expectation in this family. A special dinner of his favorite foods or a yogurt treat out with the family is considered a nice way to celebrate other events, including 8th grade grad. I was NOT popular among the other moms who spent hours drawing and cutting silhouettes of the kids to hang on the gym wall. What are they supposed to do with those? Throw nerf darts at them? I am homeschooling my younger kids now. No more of that nonsense. It's awesome to watch kids learn and jump as high as we expect. Super neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting to hear you talk about 8th grade graduation. It felt like we went all out for mine, but back then, I didn't question it. Now, however, I question everything!

      Delete
  3. I've always been a bit shocked by the celebration from the parents when the kids go back to school.
    I wrote this blog post:
    http://taytayhser.blogspot.com.au/2010/09/why-are-they-so-happy-kids-are-back-in.html

    Thanks for the nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your post! You hit it on the head - they think they should feel that way even if they don't. It is part of the culture, school to career to consumption. It is the hidden agenda of peer pressure that keeps people working (whether job or school to get a job) so that they will consume, hence the new everything needed at the beginning of each year.

      Delete
  4. I am sure this is not true about all parents who send their children off to P.S.. But I remember parents telling me they were glad to get rid of them. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard this observation from lots of people. It is sort of sad.

      Delete
  5. I was homeschooled for 12 years, and Mom never took back-to-school pictures of me or my brother (who was also homeschooled for 12 years). My daughter is turning 6 this fall, and I haven't been pushing the whole school thing. We didn't finish the preschool workbooks we were using last school year (blame it on mom getting pregnant and us moving), and I'm having a hard time getting homeschooling off the ground with a new baby. But I don't care. My kids are bright. My daughter is showing a real knack for space and shape--I can draw a letter in the air, and she gets it, or she can play the Flow app, connecting all the dots to fill the grid. My son, at 3.5, is very tactile--loves to touch and be touched. He's very much into trucks right now, and tools, and other boy things. I am not stressing over starting him on preschool books or anything like that, because he just doesn't have the patience for it. I think he would be diagnosed ADD or ADHD or some other set of letters if he were in school. I figure if he needs to juggle while he learns his times tables in a few years, I'll let him. Or jump on a trampoline. Or stand on his head.

    Yeah, I really agree with what you are saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comments. It is great to hear from someone who was homeschooled. It sounds like your kids are doing exactly what they should be doing at their age - having a childhood!

      Delete