Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Board Games with the Grandparents

You just can't beat them as an educational activity, board games: reading or math many times, principles like good sportsmanship, and socialization, yes socialization.  Being able to get along with people of all ages, including the older adults like their grandparents.  It is a great way to learn.  Since I hadn't played Chutes and Ladders in many years, I forgot how great it is for math with all the spaces marked with a number 1-100.  By advancing through the board, kids get in the habit of seeing what happens to the larger numbers as they add numbers between 1 and 6.


Board games are a great, simple, low cost, low stress winter activity that can reinforce valuable skills and provide for hours of fun.  In our modern times of overscheduled children, it is something that warrants rediscovery.  Homeschooling can give you the time to use them more often and enjoy family time too.  Any way that we can teach our kids with less stress and more fun is a way to reinforce lifelong learning!  How often do you play board games with your kids?

2 comments:

  1. I love to play games with my kids. I play Backgammon, Skip-Bo, Cribbage and Gin Rummy with my 10 year old. I play Cribbage with my 8 year old and war, Uno and Go Fish with my 5 year old.

    My dad played lots of card games with me when I was growing up and these are some of my best memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comments!

    ReplyDelete